Conveniently located to serve New York City and Long Island
When it comes to losing the stubborn belly fat that hides your abs, cosmetic surgical procedures like the tummy tuck in New York City make it easy to achieve the waistline you desire. The primary goal of the procedure is to flatten your abdomen by removing extra skin and fat and tightening loose muscles in your abdominal wall.
If you’re considering tummy tuck surgery, this information will provide you with a basic understanding of the surgical procedure, the steps involved, what makes for an ideal candidate, and the results you can expect.
What Is a Tummy Tuck?
Also called abdominoplasty, the tummy tuck is a surgical procedure that is performed to remove excess fat deposits and loose skin, thereby creating a smooth and firm abdominal profile. In a number of cases, the procedure can help restore weakened abdominal muscles and help you attain a flat and well-toned abdomen.
A flat abdomen is something most of us strive for through intense workouts and diet plans. But sometimes, these methods just don’t help. Even individuals who otherwise have normal body weight can develop an abdomen that protrudes or is loose or sagging. The most common reasons for a sagging or loose abdomen include:
- Genetic makeup
- Significant weight loss
- Any prior surgery
Are You a Good Candidate for Tummy Tuck Surgery?
Ideal candidates for a tummy tuck surgery include people who have developed excess fat, excess skin, or a combination of both on their abdomen. In general, you may be a good candidate for abdominoplasty surgery if:
- You’re physically healthy and at a stable weight
- You do not smoke
- You have realistic expectations
- You’re disturbed by the feeling that you have a protruding belly
The best way to figure out if you’re an ideal candidate for tummy tuck is through a consultation with your plastic surgeon.
Steps Involved in the Surgery
A typical tummy tuck surgical procedure involves the following main steps:
- General anesthesia and intravenous sedation are the two most common sedatives used during the procedure. Your surgeon will recommend the best choice for your case.
- In a typical abdominoplasty procedure, a horizontal incision is made right above the pubic hairline. The length and shape of the incision is dependent on the amount of excess skin. The weakened abdominal muscles are tightened once the incision is made and the skin is lifted.
- Once done, the loose skin is removed, the remaining skin is sutured together, and the belly button is repositioned. For best results, your surgeon may recommend combining liposuction with your tummy tuck procedure.
- The incisions are closed and you have a flat, toned abdomen that’s perfect for your body weight and shape.
I loved everything about my experience. Offices are stunning. There was no wait. The whole team is very sweet and accommodating. And the service I had done is still healing but, I’m already beginning to see results that I’m extremely happy with. I highly recommend. – Anonymous
The Recovery Period
During the abdominoplasty recovery period, your incisions may be dressed or bandaged. An elastic bandage may be applied to support your abdomen and minimize inflammation as your abdomen heals after surgery. To drain excess fluid or blood that may collect, your surgeon may temporarily place narrow tubes under your skin.
Dr. Hoschander or Dr. Kessler will give you specific instructions, which may include the following:
- How to apply medications and take care of the surgical site and drains
- Any specific concerns to look for at the surgical site
- Follow-up visits
People across the globe have successfully achieved their body-contouring goals with tummy tuck surgery. The procedure continues to grow in popularity and is recommended by patients as a safe and effective way of recontouring the abdomen.
Tummy Tuck Cost
Cost is a major consideration when it comes to body-sculpting procedures like the tummy tuck. The price of abdominoplasty surgery depends on several factors, including the amount of tissue removed, the techniques utilized, and the time needed to perform the surgery.
Preparation for a tummy tuck surgery will include a detailed discussion with Dr. Hoschander or Dr. Kessler about your health condition, your lifestyle, and your health and fitness goals. To make sure you get the best results, be prepared to discuss:
- Your medical history, allergies, and medical treatments
- Why you want the surgery, your expectations, and your desired results
- Any medication you’ve been using, such as supplements and vitamins
- Your lifestyle