Rhinoplasty, also known as nose surgery or a nose job, is a procedure used to improve the appearance and/or functionality of the nose. Our skilled surgeons have years of experience performing rhinoplasty for New York City patients.
Thousands of people seek cosmetic consultation to refine and enhance the proportions of their nose every year. Some of these people just want their noses to look perfect in relation to other facial features, whereas for others, a birth defect or an injury may have distorted the shape of the nose, and/or caused breathing difficulties.
Since the nose is a major feature of your face, the perfect shape and size makes all the difference for your overall appearance. When planning a nose job, your plastic surgeon will consider your facial features, the structure of your nose, and the desired result.
The nose is composed of bone, cartilage and skin. This surgical procedure can alter these tissues to enhance your nose profile and make your nose appear in perfect proportion with your other facial features.
Rhinoplasty: What You Need to Know
Rhinoplasty surgery involves altering the shape, size, and proportions of your nose in relation to other facial features for cosmetic or medical reasons, sometimes both. The surgery may be carried out to correct breathing difficulties or nasal deformities that have come about as a birth defect or due to injury.
Preparing for the Surgery
To prepare you for the surgical procedure, your surgeon may recommend you to:
- Stop taking certain medications at least two weeks before surgery until complete recovery, especially medications that contain ibuprofen or aspirin, as these may increase bleeding. Once you’re scheduled for the surgery, only take medications that are prescribed by your doctor.
- Quit smoking at least four weeks before surgery until you’re healed completely, as smoking impedes the process of healing and increases the odds of potential infections
- Have someone drive you home afterwards, as it would not be safe for you to drive yourself
- Have someone at home to care for you for at least one week as you recover from surgery
I loved everything about my experience. Offices are stunning. There was no wait. The whole team is very sweet and accommodating. And the service I had done is still healing but, I’m already beginning to see results that I’m extremely happy with. I highly recommend. – Anonymous
How Rhinoplasty Is Performed
Nose reshaping surgery is usually carried out as an outpatient procedure, which means you’ll have to stay overnight in the hospital after the surgery. The surgical procedure is usually performed under general anesthesia so patients can feel comfortable during the surgery.
During the surgery, incisions will be made. Closed rhinoplasty involves incisions made inside the nostrils. During open rhinoplasty, incisions may be made across the tip of the nose. The right incision method for you will be discussed during the consultation.
Even a very small correction can make a huge difference in overall facial appearance. Most patients report little or no pain after surgery, and any discomfort that may be experienced after surgery can be handled with pain medication.
Resuming Normal Activities after a Nose Job
After a nose job, Dr. Hoschander may ask you to wear a splint to provide support to your nose. The healing process may last for up to three to four months depending upon your case. The final shape of your nose will become apparent once it has healed completely.
You may resume normal activities within two to four weeks of the procedure. Dr. Hoschander will be able to provide more information regarding the length of the recovery period and how to care for your nose after surgery.
While the cost of functional rhinoplasty may be covered by a patient’s health insurance provider, the price of cosmetic rhinoplasty is not typically covered. The exact techniques utilized, the overall time required to perform the procedure, and many other factors determine the cost of cosmetic rhinoplasty.
Finding the best rhinoplasty surgeon for you means arranging a consultation to discuss the procedure. If you’re considering getting a nose job, you will need to set up an appointment with plastic surgeon Dr. Hoschander and discuss the details of your case. Being completely open during a consultation session is the only way to make sure you get the best results from the surgery.
Your plastic surgeon may:
- Evaluate your special case and determine the best course of action to improve your nasal contours
- Recommend changes in the nose profile that would enhance your appearance, if you’re getting a nose job for cosmetic reasons
- Evaluate your overall health to make sure you’re medically fit for the surgery
- Take your medical history to understand your motivation for the surgery and to determine the goals you’d like to achieve
- Go over rhinoplasty before and after photos with you
- Examine you physically. The nose may be analyzed and assessed carefully from the inside and the outside, as this may play a critical role in determining the impact of nose surgery on your breathing and overall facial appearance.
- Speak to you about what you should expect from the surgery. Most people shy away from discussing their appearance. However, it is important that you openly discuss your case with your doctor and talk about your goals for the surgery.