Also called eyelid surgery or an eye lift, blepharoplasty in New York City is a cosmetic procedure that involves removal of excess skin, muscle, and sometimes fat.
These tissues are removed from the lower and upper eyelids to improve the appearance of the eyelids or correct vision problems related to overhanging eyelids.
Eyelid surgery can correct:
- Drooping upper lids
- Puffiness in the area below your lids
- Eyelid problems that may obstruct your vision
Drooping eyelids are a major reason why most people consider eyelid surgery. The primary goal of the surgery is to trim away loose excess skin on the eyelids for a fresher, more youthful appearance. The surgery enhances the appearance of your lids and boosts your self-image and confidence.
Blepharoplasty can also improve your vision by offering clear, less-obstructed vision once excess skin, muscle, and fat are removed.
Blepharoplasty Surgery: Get the Facts Right
Eyelid skin loses elasticity as you age. This loss of elasticity can cause the skin to collect in the form of loose folds on the upper or lower eyelids. Excess loose skin on the lower eyelids may result in puffiness and swelling. Loose skin on the upper eyelids may hood over your eyes and obstruct your vision.
In some cases, blepharoplasty may be performed to treat puffiness in the eyelids that comes about due to fat accumulation.
You may consider eyelid surgery if you have:
- Sagging or loose skin covering the natural fold of the upper lid
- Loose skin over the lashes drooping down from your lids
- Puffy bags under your lower lids
- Puffy or swollen eyelids that make you look tired all the time
Ideal Candidates for the Surgery
Eyelid lift surgery is performed for both medical and cosmetic reasons. You’re most likely a good candidate for the surgery if:
- You’re medically, physically, and mentally healthy.
- You maintain a positive outlook and have realistic expectations about the surgery.
Your surgeon may want to perform a comprehensive screening exam to determine what will work best for you.
A Little About the Surgery
Eyelid surgery is typically performed under local anesthesia or sedation and lasts for about one to three hours. The surgery can be performed on the upper eyelids, lower eyelids, or both.
- Upper Eyelid Surgery – In upper blepharoplasty surgery, incisions are made in the skin on the upper eyelid to remove excess skin and fat. The skin is then sutured and a new eyelid crease is created.
- Lower Eyelid Surgery – In lower blepharoplasty surgery, incisions are made below the lash line or inside the eyelid (the transconjunctival technique for the removal of excess fat).
The technique may be used in combination with laser resurfacing of the eyelid skin to correct wrinkles or fine lines.
Getting Prepared for the Procedure
When scheduling you for blepharoplasty, your plastic surgeon may ask you to:
- Avoid using cosmetics/makeup products – You may be asked to stop wearing makeup products the day before surgery to minimize the risk of possible infections before and after the surgery.
- Arrange for transportation – You will be asked to arrange for transportation, since after the surgery, you won’t be able to drive yourself home.
I loved everything about my experience. Offices are stunning. There was no wait. The whole team is very sweet and accommodating. And the service I had done is still healing but, I’m already beginning to see results that I’m extremely happy with. I highly recommend. – Anonymous
The Recovery Period
It is critical that you follow the advice of your surgeon to the letter. This includes carefully following information about bandages, medications (if prescribed), ointments, and other instructions about how to care for your eyes post surgery.
Your surgeon will provide detailed instructions and information about the symptoms you may experience after blepharoplasty surgery. It is important to note that the eye lift recovery period varies considerably among individuals.
When considering the cost of eyelid surgery, it is important to take all the details into account. The overall price of blepharoplasty is affected by the techniques utilized, the anesthesia used, and the total time needed to perform the surgery.
Arrange a Consultation
Speak with Dr. Hoschander during a consultation to find out more about blepharoplasty in New York City. You should ask questions regarding the surgery to get a clear picture of the procedure, what to expect, and whether or not you’re a suitable candidate.